TNT Fireworks Now Legal in New York
As New Yorkers gear up for events surrounding the Fourth of July, TNT Fireworks – the nation's largest distributor of consumer fireworks and sparklers – urges families and individuals to keep safety top of mind when celebrating our nation's independence.
The State of New York recently passed legislation which allows counties and cities outside of New York City to legalize certain consumer fireworks such as sparklers and fountains. TNT Fireworks will be selling products in the jurisdictions that have legalized the sale and use of these sparkling devices, which includes locations in more than 30 counties.
"As we commemorate this national holiday and New York's new law, it's important to keep safety top of mind," says Tommy Glasgow, President of TNT Fireworks.
The American Pyrotechnics Association has outlined key safety tips for consumers:
- TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Always keep a hose and a bucket of water nearby in case of emergencies.
- LIGHT ONE AT A TIME. NEVER light two or more sparkling devices at the same time.
- KEEP IT OUTSIDE. Only use fireworks and sparklers outdoors on flat, hard surfaces like concrete in clear areas and away from houses, buildings and dry grass.
- HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION. NEVER allow young children to light or handle fireworks or sparklers. Adults should always be present when lighting or handling fireworks or sparklers.
- STAY ALERT. NEVER mix alcohol or other substances with fireworks or sparklers.
- STAY CLEAR. NEVER hold a lit firework in your hand. Keep as far from them as possible when lighting.
- LET SLEEPING FIREWORKS LIE. NEVER try to relight fireworks or sparklers that do not ignite. Wait 15 to 20 minutes before approaching them, then soak them with water and throw them away.
- PROTECT YOUR PETS. Animals are often frightened by the sounds of fireworks. Protect your "best friends" by keeping them indoors, secure and away from the loud, sudden noises.
- Individuals should check local and state laws and only purchase sparkling devices that are legally permitted.
In New York, for example, sparkling devices are defined as ground based or handheld devices that produce a shower of colored sparks and or a colored flame, audible crackling or whistling noise and smoke. The law limits the type, size and construction of sparkling devices and requires that these devices must be hand held or mounted on a base or spike and be limited in sizes that range from 1 to 500 grams of pyrotechnic composition. Also, New Yorkers are encouraged to check the label and instructions to ensure they come from a reliable, legal and licensed source.
ABOUT TNT FIREWORKS
TNT® Fireworks (TNT) is the nation's largest distributor of consumer fireworks and sparklers. For more than 50 years, TNT has set the benchmark for safety, customer satisfaction, innovation and quality in the fireworks industry. For more information about TNT Fireworks, visit www.tntfireworks.com.
ABOUT THE AMERICAN PYROTECHNICS ASSOCIATION
The APA is the leading trade association of the fireworks industry. The APA supports and promotes safety standards for all aspects of fireworks. The APA has diverse membership including regulated and licensed manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, importers and suppliers of fireworks. Additional information about the fireworks industry, facts & figures, history of fireworks, state laws, and safety tips can be found on APA's website at www.americanpyro.com.